Graduation Thesis Project Hydrodynamics
Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding
Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS) is continuously improving its knowledge in the field of fluid dynamics. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is used on a routinely daily basis for almost every project. In addition supporting research is facilitated by model basin tests or wind tunnel tests to provide optimum designs of our vessels. Already early in the design stage CFD is used for hull form optimization. Investigation of superstructure aerodynamics is performed to improve the flow field at the helideck and to study exhaust gas hindrance. Various graduate research projects are available within the Hydrodynamics team, which is part of the Research and Technology Support department.
Some possible subjects are:
- Evaluation of added resistance in waves.
- Evaluation of bow thruster tunnel entrance design and the effect on ship resistance and bow thruster performance.
- Evaluation of motions during launch and recovery of boats through the stern slipway.
- Evolution of the uncertainty in CFD resistance calculations within a series of hull forms.
- Wave run-up in a recess.
- Impact of CAD model simplifications on wind loads and exhaust gas trajectories.
- URANS application for smoke dispersion.
- Investigation of impact of waves on smoke dispersion and superstructure flow field.
- Automation of setting Openfoam boundary conditions.
Also a combination of different subjects is possible.
As a graduate at DSNS you will face multiple aspects of applying advanced CFD methods in various phases of ship design. For the development of these methods various design tools are available that assist you in achieving your research goals. You will be responsible from day one for the planning and execution of your research project. You are expected to deliver a detailed in-depth analysis of your research problem and meanwhile be able to communicate the results and conclusions to other departments.
Send us your motivation and favourite subject as well as your CV!
The perfect candidate is:
- A HBO or University student Maritime Technology / Aerospace engineering / Mechanical engineering / Applied Physics.
- A top class student.
- Passionate about ships and shipbuilding.
- Familiar with ship design and fluid dynamics.
- Familiar with 3D CAD software (e.g. Rhino).
- Able to use programming tools (e.g. Python).
- Familiar with Linux.
- Capable of identifying and communicating with multiple stakeholders.
- Independent, curious, analytical and proactive.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
The Naval & Structural group is part of the Engineering department. The employees have been divided over projects, in which they contribute to both product definition and the engineering of production information within their field.Solliciteren
Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS) is specialised in the design and construction of naval and complex commercial vessels, making optimal use of its know-how and experience from both the military and commercial sectors.
|Plaatsingsdatum||vrijdag 5 juli 2019|
|Sector||Scheepsbouw en -reparatie|
|Bedrijfsnaam||Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding|
|Contactpersoon||Mevr. Esther Van Oorschot|
|Telefoon||+31 (0) 118 48 23 24|
|Fax||+31 (0)118 485 050|
Alle banen bij Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding